Dec 22, 2014

Homemade Granola Bars


One of my goals for the new year (post coming soon) is to have more "Cooking with Cathleen" posts. I personally love cooking, baking, and eating obviously, and I enjoy sharing recipes on my blog. So my family typically eats pretty healthy. By healthy I mean you will almost never find a box of goldfish in our house, and Fridays are homemade pizza nights. I can't even remember the last time we ordered pizza unless it was from Zorbas. We also go hiking and do other outdoor activities a lot. One of my favorite snacks of late (aside from chocolate covered pretzels) has been Cliff bars. I started thinking about making my own granola bars, and just how easy it would be! So... I found a recipe, and got to cooking. 

Ingredients:

Rolled Oats -- 3 cups
Sugar -- 1 cup
Raisins -- 1 cup
Crushed Almonds -- about 1 cup
Olive Oil -- 3/4 cup
Eggs -- 2

Directions: 

  1. Preheat the oven to 375° and grease a shallow baking pan (if it is a no-stick pan, don't worry about greasing). 
  2. Combine oats, sugar, raisins, almonds, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Stir well. 
  3. Dump the mixture onto the pan and press down firmly with the back of the spoon. Make sure that you spread it out so that you get cover the pan, but keep in mind that you still want them to be thick when you cut them. 
  4. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden. 
  5. Cut into bars (you should have about 28) and let cool. 
Let me know if you make these granola bars, and how they came out!

I'm thinking about making them again with some chocolate chips added to the mix:)



post signature