Dec 30, 2014

What Bloggers Wish They Had Known...


Okay, this is my 300th post here on Classy Cathleen which is super exciting. I wanted to do a fun post as my 300th, so I'm super excited for this! It doesn't seem like it, but it takes a lot of work to be a blogger. Frustration with stats, procrastinating on collabs, balancing school, consistently posting, and just everything! I've made so many friends through my blogging experience so far, and this post gave me a chance to talk to all of them and share their advice with other bloggers! So without further ado, here is What Bloggers Wish They Had Known Before They Started Blogging!

Michaela Fisch of The Monogrammed Midwesterner says...
"Maybe don't share it with your friends and family right away. Like wait until you've really cleaned up your site and created some quality content then share. I went through about 5 different layouts and designs, and I wish people really wouldn't have seen the rougher versions."
Marshall McFadden of This Blonde Story says...
"I didn't know so much time went into running a blog. I wish I would have started out with a blogging schedule instead of just posting whenever."
Anna Tselevich of Undeniably Anna says...
"I wish i would have known how many doors it would open up for me, and how many amazing people I would meet through it. That way I would have started way sooner!" 
Sarah Zerbe of Stylish Sassy and Classy says...
"I wish I would have known the importance of linking your blog to social media (facebook page, instagram, pinterest, twitter..) using those social media platforms really helps grow your blog."
Caitlin Cooper of Your Typical Prep says...
"Probably that as scary as it seems to start a blog even though there are thousands already out there, you'll find a group of people in your blogging "niche" that you'll really bond and connect with. I also wish I had known not to expect results right away. I started my blog for fun, but I wasn't getting very many views. They've picked up a little, but still not by much. I love blogging either way though, haha." 
Lauren Aid of A Touch of Southern Grace says...
"The importance of staying active on social media" 
Allie Ducote of The Back Allie Way says...
"I wish I knew that I needed better self-motivation. Before I started blogging, I thought that I could easily come up with new content every week day and motivate myself to write every night." 
Alex Romano of Monster Misa says...
"My advice is to write about what you're passionate about. Some people follow the trends and write the same stuff as every other blogger but when you write about things you love, it helps your personality shine through." 
Emily Rizer of Emily and Dot says...
"Starting out as a blogger I wish I knew to reach out. There's such a great blogging community all around us with bloggers that are so willing to help you out whether it's with post creation, coding issues or even collaborations! Using the bloggers around me was a resource I wish I had known about earlier. Not just because of their assistance with blogging technical problems but also because you get to develop some great relationships with other chicas around the web! Blogger Communities (like Bloggers with Class!) are a great way to reach out in order to get to know and work with other bloggers!"
Frannie Acciardo of The Blonde Prep says...
"This is kind of specific but I wish I wouldn't have selected such a limiting name, because now that my style has evolved a little bit, I don't feel like the blonde prep is a 100% fit anymore"
Neidelyn Carmen of Get Up & Dress Up says...
"I would say how much work and effort it takes to be 'successful' I've always thought it would be so easy but it takes a lot of time and dedication" 
Nathalie Van Hauwe of The Coveting says...
"I wish I'd known that a good blog design is the key to please your readers and make your blog look organised."  
Sophia Breton of Curls && Pearls Prepster says...
"To always plan and schedule your blog posts!" 
Connie Browne of Prep Northwest says...
"I would say something about the time commitment. Its hard to balance working full time and blogging!" 
Salli Mandel of Style by Salli says...
"Probably that it's a lot more work than I'd imagined. You have to set aside a lot of time to dedicate to blogging." 
Jamie Eimbinder of The Fashion Newcomer says...
" I wish I had known that although people might not understand blogging, they will value the fact that it is your hobby if they are a true friend. When I told people about my blog, some didn't get it and as a result, I didn't share with as many people I know in real life when I started it. People are still sometimes a little taken aback by it, but I've found that good friends are supportive! Of course, I wish I knew some of the tricky technical aspects before I started too!!" 
Hallie Wilson of Corals + Cognacs says...
"I'd say that I vastly underestimated the amount of time it takes to maintain and grow a blog... But if you're willing to put in the hours, it's worth it." 
Jessica Dugan of Belle Adore says...
"I guess I would have wanted to known that the way other bloggers show their lives on insta/twitter/blog isn't necessarily reality...it totally gave me really high expectations for how my blog should have looked!" 
Marissa Michele of Makin it with Marissa says...
"How time-intensive it would be and how much time and patience really goes into making a high quality product that builds your readership and keeps them coming back!"
Rachel Martin of Seashells + Sparkles says...
"I wish I knew how much time and effort it was going to take. Blogging seems like a simple task, but to be an effective blogger you need to be organized, you have to plan, and you need to cut out time to work and sometimes it's difficult to find time to get it done!" 
Alex Eisenhardt of The College Lifestylist says...
"I wish I would've known how valuable good pictures are to a blog no matter how good the content is if there aren't great photos a lot of people won't keep reading. I have so many posts I wish i could go back and update the photos of!" 
Zoe Cayetano of That's Zoe says...
"I wish I would've known that blogging is a community and that there are people who will be there to help and guide you." 
Catherine and Julianna of Preppy By The Sea say...
"When we first started blogging we were anonymous, and changing that was one of the best things we did. It is important to go into blogging with confidence and that is definitely the number one thing we wish we knew from the beginning. People will find your blog and when they do, stick up for it and be confident in your work. In addition to this, using social media is so important and really helps to grow your following. Personally we think Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest are the most successful" 
Kelly Larkin of Kelly in the City says...
"I wish I'd known how wonderful the blogging community is. When I first started, I didn't even realize one existed. Sadly, even after learning about it, I largely kept to myself, and didn't attend events or reach out to other bloggers. I was shy, unsure of myself, and self conscious about my inexperience. When I finally opened myself up, though, I learned the true meaning of "community." I've met so many incredibly kind and inspiring people through blogging, and several have become real friends. I've learned a ton from these talented ladies, and together, we've had some amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experiences! Of course, I wish I'd opened up earlier on in my blogging journey, but better late than never! I'm very thankful." 
Cara of Caralina Style says...
"I wish I knew how important it is to consistently post, and that it takes time to build up a blog. I used to think that if I just started the blog and made a few posts, I would just gain readers. But much more effort is required!" 

 All of these girls had great advice to share, and I hope that for all bloggers starting out.. or considering starting a blog keep this advice in mind as you start out on your adventure.

post signature