Oct 28, 2015

5 Ways to Not Celebrate Halloween on Halloween




I haven't really celebrated Halloween since I was about 8 or 9 years old. Throwback to the days when I dressed up as Minnie Mouse, Belle from Beauty and the Beast, and Jessie from Toy Story 2.. oh and Pocahontas. But honestly, I just never got into "the spirit of Halloween". Celebrating the dead isn't really my thing.. and neither is scaring people in general. My family went along with Halloween dress up when my siblings and I were little. Now, we have some different traditions... If you've been reading Classy Cathleen for over a year, you know that my family and I celebrate Christmas on Halloween. 


Crazy as that might sound.. it's true. I wrote a blog post on it last year!

I love Hocus Pocus and Caspar and other Halloween classics, but put Hocus Pocus and Twitches up against Rudolph and the Tim Allen Santa Clause movies? Heck no, Christmas wins hands down. Saturday night, I'll be hanging out at home, putting up the Christmas tree, packing up presents for my lovely blogging friends (email me if you wanna be in blogger secret Santa with Olivia and I) and making Christmas cookies. 

It's the unique family traditions that are actually memorable and fun. I'm 100% certain that when I'm an adult with my own children I will remember our Halloween's in detail just because they are so different than the average Joe's. If I get to laugh and gain 30 pounds in cookie weight and eat Christmas pizza and watch Santa Claus is Coming to Town and Frosty... Life is pretty great!

I was seriously debating if I should write this post today (for the #galpalholiday linkup hosted by
Rachel, Cristina and I... P.S linkup at the end of this post if you participated) or just hold off and add some pictures from this Halloween on Saturday. I obviously decided today because since I don't celebrate.. and I am honest with y'all and I'm not going to write a post that isn't true to me, if that makes any sense. 

Here are 5 ways that I personally don't celebrate Halloween.. on Halloween:

1. Watch random movies or continue binge watching on Netflix and treat it just like any other night

2. Have a s'mores party.. because s'mores are always appropriate especially in the Fall. Just don't forget to Instagram a picture of your s'more

3. Celebrate the season of Fall instead of Halloween. I mean like pick up some pumpkins, gourds, squash, and make an awesome meal or just an awesome centerpiece for the dining room table. Go on Pinterest and search some DIY crafts you can work on to get your home ready for the rest of fall/winter

4. ONLINE SHOP! There are so many Fall sales going on right now.. I'm not gonna be that blogger that shares those sales with you, but all I'm gonna say is check Instagram. Keep up with fav stores on social media so that you don't miss something amazing

5. Do what I do, and celebrate Christmas! Be an elf and get crafting while you're curled up on the sofa watching Rudolph with hot chocolate and mini marshmallows (but not those microwaveable packets that have those poor pathetic dehydrated marshmallows.. just buy a bag of mini marshmallows) (oh and Instagram a picture of your mug too) start or add on to your holiday/winter pinterest board (see mine here) write Christmas cards and send them out to your friends.. you'll just be a little ahead of the game. Put up the tree and hang those timeless decorations that you put up every year because of sentimental value.

There's articles out there on the internet about Christian families that don't celebrate Halloween for religious reasons. That's not why I don't celebrate Halloween at all. I am a Christian, and that's honestly why we get the party started early with Christmas. Christ's birthday! I'm pretty gosh darn excited for Saturday and I'm getting that Holiday cheer from listening to playlist upon playlist on Spotify, and shopping for cookie ingredients.

Now, If you are someone who loves Halloween, write a blog post about it! The #galpalholiday linkup hosted by me and my gal pals is LIVE and we are now in the Witches, Ghouls, Goblins part of this linkup, and we would love to have you post about Halloween and link up with us. Use the hashtag, and have fun, friends! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy this post? Let me know with a comment!
xx-
Cathleen